Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Not "doing" it!

Faced my first placement interview today.. Could feel the tension in the air.. everyone laughs, cracks jokes but eventually it boils down to those deciding moments inside the interview room.. People are walking up and down the corridor.. trying to maintain their cool, bucking everyone up.. Its quite a sight to witness.. Everytime I experience this, my stomach churns and I really question the system.. Is this really the best way to judge people? Is this how they will know how I'll contribute to their toplines? Hanging on to these thoughts, its interesting to see how this links with the way we perceive performance..

One of my favourite mentors in college has left a very solid impression on my mind.. She doesn't work with my college anymore but its her words which keep ringing everytime I see people getting stressed out.. May it be the admission process, exams or the final frontier - placements.. Very rightly, she remarked that the problem with us is that we are obsessed with "doing".. we always have some agenda, some exam, some project, some deadline, some job, some work.. all the time.. We have never learnt, how to "not do".. We haven't learnt to take breaks, unwind, relax.. go backpacking, travel, just not do anything!

It might sound very utopian but for me that's the way I want to live.. Not do anything sometimes, do loads at times, go all out for friends and never fall short of time for family.. That's my wishlist, God.. I know you are listening :)

1 comment:

Rohan Athalye said...

The moment doing comes...the ego comes...nothing wrong there...but it is this ego which makes life miserable....

In those rare moments of undoing...one experiences...nothingness...and in tht is the gist of everything